Nursery rhymes are not only fun little songs to keep your little ones entertained, they’re also great tools to help them learn and grow!
As they sing, move, and dance, kids are building language, motor, and many more skills.
As a mom, I know how important it is to ensure that fun activities be also learning opportunities.
It’s for this reason that I love the power of nursery rhymes.
Here are just a few of the benefits of nursery rhymes for baby and toddler development.
Nursery rhymes can:
- Develop early literacy skills: Through fun rhymes and catchy songs, kids learn phonics and vocabulary effortlessly. Nursery rhymes books can be a child’s first exposure to literacy and provide a rich oral and visual experience.
- Create connections and build community: For parents, these songs provide an opportunity to connect through music and play. For kids, knowing common songs helps them connect with other kids in preschool, the library, and everywhere they go. The familiar nature of nursery rhymes connects families across generations and across locations.
- Build memory capabilities: Repetition is a great way to develop memory capabilities that go beyond the songs and can be applied to any activity.
- Improve fine motor skills and coordination: Picture little fingers mimicking a spider climbing up a water spout. Now think of the palm of a child’s hand honking on an imaginary horn going “beep beep beep”. These actions help little ones move their bodies and work on coordination.
- Provide hours of fun: Whether through songs, books, or digital content, these children’s songs provide endless entertainment, smiles, giggles, and more! There’s nothing better than that!
Nuria is an entrepreneur and mom raising two bilingual children. She joined forces with another mom, Susie Jaramillo, and founded Encantos – a family entertainment and education company for today’s multicultural families.
Together they launched Canticos – a bilingual baby and toddler brand with books, apps, and sing-along videos is the first brand from. Nuria serves as Executive Producer of Canticos digital shorts which are now available across Nick Jr.’s digital preschool platforms: on NickJr.com/Canticos, Nick Jr.’s YouTube page and on the Nick Jr. and NOGGIN apps.